You have a picture record of some of the things that we have done over the last several weeks. Now I would like to write down some of those things. We have had many firsts. We had our first trip to the temple with the Stake. It is amazing to me how much you can feel the Spirit in whatever temple you are in no matter where that temple is. We have been in many temples in several countries and the Spirit is always very strong but it hit me here that we are in the heart of the Book of Mormon land and the people here are direct descendants of the people of that book. It brought tears to my eyes to think of that.
When we went to go through the veil, the American sister who took me through encouraged me to do it in Spanish. Dad had translation headphones during the session but he was the last one through the veil. It was the Stake Pres. who was taking him through but he didn't speak English, so he got to go through in Spanish. It was a challenge but he did it. It was beautiful and we would love to go again soon.
We also attended our first baptism this same day. Three young men from one family were baptized in our small Branch. Their father was baptized 30 years earlier. Their mother and sister weren't quite ready yet. Elder Walker and Elder Garcia have been working extra hard in our area to build up the branch and create more unity there. The week before the mother sat by me in RS. I shared the lesson manual with her and after the lesson I asked her if she would like to have the book. She was hanging on every word of the lesson and was thrilled to get the book.
When we arrived for the baptism, Elder Walker asked me to talk to the group while he and his companion were changing their clothes afterwards. So, I got to talk for several minutes about the restoration of the gospel. It was a good thing that they had a pamphlet to help me with some of the words I didn't remember. It is amazing what we are able to do sometimes when the Lord needs us to step up.
We expected a few people for the baptism but when we finally began about an hour and a half past time to start, almost the whole branch was there. We had scheduled a branch activity for that night right after the baptism. Because of that, there were so many people there to welcome them into the church.
Our activity was to hide candies around the church yard and have the kids look for them. This was an introduction to the Easter Bunny which they do not know about and may have been better off not knowing about, have hot dogs and chips, then watch the talk by Pres. Uchdorf about STOP IT. Elder Walker ran himself ragged working to accomplish everything. Despite the fact that we (we work with the Johnsons in this branch) forgot the computer to show the talk on, and had to ask someone to bring it, it came off as quite a success. We need to forget the relish next time and remember to bring more cheese dip that was for the chips but ended up on most of the hot dogs. We had a great time and it brought back memories of what my children acted like after eating tons of candy at one session.
Many of the neighborhood children participated in the activity and we really couldn't discourage them from being there. We just had to keep reminding them to be quiet as they played outside the open windows of the church. It was a nice opportunity to introduce them to the gospel.
I did my first ordering of medicine for the mission. A woman from the pharmacy the last nurse had used, called me and introduced herself. She asked to come and meet me in person. This is interesting how it all worked out. I had just made a list of the medicine the mission needed and I was able to hand it over to her and she then gave me a list of the costs. I asked her to deliver the meds on Thurs.
In the meantime, we received word that Elder Amado, the longest serving 70 in the church at this time, would be touring our mission and wanted to go with us to Zone Conferences. We had planned to do this the following week. The APs and Pres and Sister Stay got busy and arranged the conferences for the following Monday. Thursday and Friday were the only days I had to get medicine ready to take out for this. The missionaries flock to you after a conference with all sorts of ailments. I had those medications to use because I had just ordered them. It became very clear to me that the Lord was in charge of what was going on, not me.
I would like to continue but I am waiting at what is called the Brigada to help recover the young people who have had their teeth removed in preparation to serve missions. I will tell you later about our trip to Chiquimula and the opportunity to visit the most dear friends there. Also about having zone conference taught by Elder Amado, getting lost on the way to Jalapa, and the prayer that was given prior to the Brigada by Elder Martino who is the Pres. of the Area, the sister missionaries we have been working with, and the contacts that I was able to talk to while waiting for Dad to pick me up at the end of the first day at the Brigada. We are doing great and we love the work. It is definitely work!!!
Dale has inspected many apartments and has taught the elders in countless rides in the truck. What a blessing it is to have a great companion on the mission.
It is so fun to hear how you both are doing. I have enjoyed reading and speaking to you both. You are a great joy in our families lives. We are blessed to share both of you with the people you are serving. Listening to stories reminds me of my mission and the spiritual joy I felt there. Thank you both for being great in-laws. Take care. Love Paul
ReplyDeleteI know I should have commented with Paul, but he read it at work, just want you to know I love hearing your stories, I miss you lots, but I can feel the spirit with every story. Love you, Becca
ReplyDelete